Back and Joint Pain
What Causes Back & Joint Pain?
From the perspective of Chinese Medicine, all pain is a result of stagnation or blockage. Whatever the cause, there is obstruction in the normal flow in the body and you may experience inflammation, muscle spasm, limited motion, and painful impingement.
- Back Pain which can be caused by strain or underlying processes, such as arthritis. Back pain can also be created or exacerbated by improper balance and sedentary lifestyle.
- Hip and Knee Pain can also be caused by strain or underlying issues. It may be prolonged by compensatory guarding, when the body tenses up to protect the injury.
- Neck Pain and Neck Tension are often a result of poor posture during use of the computer and phone.
- How I Treat Back and Joint Pain Throughout your treatment you can expect me to treat you with compassion and understanding.
I will begin your treatment with a thorough interview asking questions such as:
- What were the circumstances at the time your pain began?
- Which activities make it worse or better? What is the quality: sharp, burning, radiating, etc.?
- What treatments have you tried?
- With what results?
We then review your general habits and health conditions, such as sleep, digestion, and lifestyle.
After the interview, I gather information essential to Chinese medicine by checking your tongue and your pulse. I also check your posture and range of motion. You then lie on a table where I'll palpate (press on) the area that is problematic as well as related channels. (Channels are pathways through which qi and blood move through the body.)
From this assessment, I will gain a picture of the imbalances in your body as well as the specific dynamics of your chief complaint. Based on my findings, I will draw on my decades of experience to choose points to insert the acupuncture needles. The needles are very thin, and you can learn more about what to expect here.
Results: Reduced Pain and Greater Mobility
Generally, you can expect to feel some relief after one session, but the results may not last without further treatments. The best results can be expected with sessions (an hour each) twice a week for two to three weeks. If you have a simple sprain or strain, that may give you permanent relief. On the other hand, if you are suffering from chronic pain or cyclic complaints, such as allergies or dysmenorrhea, treatment usually takes longer.
The impact of acupuncture is often augmented by suggestions for body mechanics and self-care.
In addition to pain reduction and improved movement, you will find that acupuncture is very relaxing and can address issues such as anxiety and insomnia.
YOU WILL LEAVE YOUR SESSION FEELING RELAXED AND BALANCED